Monday, 23 May 2016

The Double Standards Need to Stop

A post by student Rushika Khatkar


In my English class this year, I had an assignment called a "rant." I had to perform a rant to the class about any topic I wanted. There were many ideas I played around with. Should I rant about loud people on the buses or the really cold weather. I wanted to stay away from controversial topics. I was too afraid to perform something for my class that would make them remember me but there was also a part of me that wanted to use this opportunity to send the class a message. This struggle was so strong that I actually wrote two different pieces. On the day of my presentation to the class, I finally decided. I gathered up the courage to talk about a topic I am most passionate about, the double standards surrounding the treatment of women.

So here is my rant that I performed to my class! I hope you receive the message I was trying to convey.

The Double Standards Need to Stop


Every time I watch a music video, I can’t help but look at the comments. Sometimes they are hilarious and sometimes they just show the double standards of the world.

This is the 21st century, a time where demeaning comments about women should not exist. Yet, every time in the comment section, there are always people commenting on the singers looks and body. Yeah, Adele is not what we think of being skinny, but I can guarantee the person behind the keyboard isn’t looking so great either and he sure doesn’t have her voice.

When there is a music video with a shirtless guy, he is never said to be slutty. Actually he’s usually pretty hot. But the moment a women, no matter how beautiful, decides to break the rules of society and show a little skin, she’s labeled a skank. 

Singers like Lilly Allen and Ciara tried pointing out the double standard with songs such as “Its Hard out Here” and “Like a Boy”.

Christina Aguilera best summarized it when she sang the line “the guy gets all the glory the more he can score, while the girl can do the same yet you call her a whore”. Sex has a much more negative connotation for women than men. If a photo of a couple in bed gets leaked, it’s always the girl who gets the backlash. The woman is instantly labelled as slut or easy. I can’t remember an instance where a man got in trouble if he wasn’t married. In fact, he probably gets a pat on the back from this friends.

I know I sound like I’m raging on all men but really I am raging on society. That includes girls like me. I can tell you that girls can be just as demeaning as men. In fact it’s worse because they should know better. I know I’m guilty of judging a girl before I get the whole story and it’s not something I’m proud of. But I know it’s something wrong. 

That’s the first step in fixing this problem. We have to acknowledge that something is wrong before we go forward.

A high school student in South Carolina was sent home to change her clothes. She was being a distraction to other males. She was a wearing a muscle tee, a type of t-shirt that 3 of her male classmates were wearing yet not one of them was asked to leave. Standards like that just demonstrates how women’s bodies are thought to be inherently sexual and less important than a man’s education.

What happened next was something we should try to emulate. This provoked an outcry from the girls at that school that spread throughout the world. #IAmMoreThanADistraction generated thousands of posts. Events such a Crop Top Day and protests need to continue so we can show the world the double standards they impose on women. Women should not be taught to dress more appropriately but rather men should be taught not to disrespect them.

So the next time you are about to like, share or post something that could be demeaning, just don’t. Because if the tables were turned, men wouldn’t want to be called sluts either. 

No comments:

Post a Comment